Friends of Green Lake Meeting, Tuesday 26 May 15, Hearthstone Boardroom
Convened at 7:00 PM
Tom Kelly, our Guest Speaker
Andrea WattsKaren SchurrMarcia NormanEllen HewittBrian DeLuca
Introductions – around the table for current and new attendees.
Andrea: Work party on 9 May in vicinity of the West side Turtle Logs. About 20 participated, a mix of students and others; note participation of students from Hazel Wolf School.
First order of business, Guest Speaker:
Tom Kelly of MESA, Magnuson Park Environmental Stewardship Alliance and member, Magnuson Community Council. Tom has been engaged since about 1997, following the earlier transition to park status from Sand Point Naval Base. Tom’s presentation was extemporaneous, delivered from notes.
Tom covered a wide range of topics regarding:
- plantings and trail creation and maintenance
- pea patch creation and economics and their completion with other interests wanting to use park space
- suggestions about methods of garnering volunteer support for Green Lake grass-roots projects
- suggestions about financial grants for e.g. tool purchases and native plants
- general discussion about:
- SPD-Seattle Parks Department Vegetation Management Plan
- SPD Best Practices
- Green Seattle Partnership Map – Polygon Designations (geographic areas of interest and activity)
Andrea: Reminder about 6 June work party
Ellen: Review of work to update/revise FOGL website
Reviewed Treasurer’s report
General discussion regarding 2nd Annual Green Lake Float Party (Saturday, June 13, 2015). Google “green lake float party” to see many entries on the topic.
Brian DeLuca, FOGL Recording Secretary